Dreams can be terrifying especially when the dream is about a dead person who may be a relative, family member or friend. Fear levels increase especially when there is physical contact with the dead person. This may be hugging, kissing or eating together with the dead person.
This article will be explaining the possible different meanings of seeing a dead person alive in your dreams. Thus, you will know what you may need to do in regards to interpreting them.
What does it mean when you see a dead person alive in your dream?
There exist many interpretations of this kind of dream. The interpretations are highly subjective based on different factors such as culture and religion among other beliefs.
This results in various opinions on the meaning of dreams. With this in mind, let’s’ look at some specific situations that may occur in the dreams.
Meaning of hugging a dead person in a dream
In case your dream involves hugging a dead person, then the meaning of the dream can be known by looking at the dream in a more specific way. Let’s look at some situations that probably occurred in the dream.
1. Hugging a dead person who is angry at you.
This may mean that you need to get rid of guilt or grieve you have towards the dead person. Chances are that you may have wronged the dead person during his/her lifetime.
You end up thinking about the dead person and the wrong often during the day. Thus, your subconscious mind retrieves the image of the dead person from your memory to help you heal the guilt.
2. Hugging a dead person, you don’t know
This may mean that some positive changes will take place in your life. In this kind of a dream, you may not know the dead person but you know that he/she is dead.
By the time of dreaming, you don’t know what the positive change will be or what it is. The hugging now symbolizes you getting the positive change in your life.
3. Hugging a loved one who died.
This may mean that:
a) You are in denial of the death of the loved one who died
As a result, you may be thinking of the pain the loved one’s death left in your life. The subconscious mind tends to bring the image of the loved one in the dream as a way of directing you to move on and accept the death of that loved one.
b) You are missing the loved one
In this case, you may be thinking about the wonderful moments you had together and you are missing the loved one.
As a result, the subconscious mind brings the image of the loved one to satisfy the longing that you have for this person.
3. Hugging a child who is dead
If the child was yours, this may mean thatyou have not moved on and that is okay. Probably, you still grieve over the child’s death and think about the death more often during the day.
In response to this, the subconscious mind brings the image of the child in your dear. However much you that you need to accept the child’s death, don’t push yourself since time is the beast healer in this situation.
What does it mean when you see a dead relative in your dream?
Seeing a dead relative in your dream may mean the following:
1. The return of something lost or missing in your life.
The relative probably once played a role in your life. When he/she died, you lost him in your life. Then the hug symbolizes a certain kind of reunion with him.
The relative may not necessarily come back to life but he/she may symbolize your reunion with something that got lost from your life or union with something missing in your life.
2. Need for some qualities of life.
Regarding this, chances are you are passing through a difficult situation and you feel you need to be shown more love or you are feeling insecure and thus you feel the need for extra security.
For example, if you had an uncle who showed you love and gave you security then it is not a surprise that you dream with him.
3. The relative has a message for you.
When you look keenly there is a possibility that you may have given up on a goal and the person appears in your dream to pass the message that you need to continue pursuing the goal from where you left.
4. You have not moved on.
This means that you still grieve over the relative’s death. The subconscious mind brings his/her image to you in the dream to inform you that you need to accept what happened to the relative and move one with your life.
5. You are guilty and have regrets.
You may have wronged the relative while he/she was still alive. So, the guilt and regret for your action(s) may be haunting you more often. The subconscious mind may bring the relative’s image in your dream(s) to inform you of a need for reconciliation.
The courses of actions you are directed to take may include, forgiving yourself for the wrong you did and seeking forgiveness from the relative’s close family.
Dream of a dead person giving you something
Being given something by a dead person in a dream may mean the following:
- A blessing or a curse is on the way. This will depend on the dead person and how you used to relate to them. You may need to consult with your elders for more clarifications about the dead and how you used to relate with them.
- Being given a ring in the dream may mean that you are about to marry or get married. This will also depend with the dead person who gives the ring to you in your dream.
- Being given money in the dream may mean that you will be given an inheritance or you will experience increased profit in your business.
- Being given shoes by a dead person in a dream may mean that an intriguing journey or a successful trip is on your way.
- Being given clothes by a dead person in the dream may mean that you are about to undertake a troublesome journey in your life or you will be delegated an important responsibility in the future.
- A dead person giving you a bag in your dream may mean that you are going to accomplish your plans. It Highly signifies the support and positive will of the dead that you should complete the mission that you started before they died.
- Receiving an expensive gift from a dead person in a dream may mean that you will experience an increase in your wealth or an increase in your business profit. It signifies that you have the blessing of the dead person
- For a woman, receiving a Jewelry form a dead person in any dream may predict accomplishment of a long awaited dream.
- Being given an empty gift box in a dream may mean your close friends are about to betray you. This always comes as a warning from someone that dies while caring so much about your wellbeing.
Dreaming of a dead loved one being alive and talking to them
Dreaming of a dead person being alive and talking to them may mean the following:
- Sharing a bond with the dead when they were alive
Chances maybe you wronged the loved one while he/she was alive. As a result, you may have often been thinking about the wrong that you did to the loved one.
The subconscious mind may be bringing the image of the dead person to pass a message that you need to let go of the guilt and move on.
- You miss the dead person.
You miss the time, moments and the insights that you had together with the loved one.
Your subconscious mind retrieves the memories and brings the image of the dead person in the dream to satisfy the longing that you have for this person.
- A message is being passed to you.
In the dream, the subconscious mind may try to simulate the real situation the way the loved one could have advised you if he/she was still alive. This may happen so as to enable you to make a decision that may be troubling you in real life.
- Dreaming of a dead person waking up
Dreaming of a dead person waking up may mean the following:
- You miss the dead person.
If he/she was a loved one, you may be missing the time, moments and the insights that you had together.
Your subconscious mind retrieves the memories and brings the image of the dead person waking up in the dream to satisfy the longing that you have for this person.
- A door may be opened soon
The waking up of the dead person may mean that one of your dreams that seemed to fade away will come true.
Seeing a dead person alive in Hindu belief
From an Indian book called Kabbalah, it is believed that seeing a dead person alive is a confirmation that the dead person’s soul is still alive.
To support this, the book gives the analogy that, if an animal dies one cannot see the animal in the dream whereas if a human die more so a relative, the dead person may appear in a dream since the soul is alive.
A Hindu book called Talmud says that if the dead person that appeared in the dream, ate and drank in the house of the dreamer or house which the dreamer is associated with, then the dead person appearing in the dream is a good sign for all the family members of the dreamer.
The Hindus believe that if the dead person takes any utensil out of the dreamers’ house, this is a bad omen for the dreamer’s family.
In fact, if the dead person takes shoes and sandals from the house of the dreamer, this indicates that a person in the dreamer’s family may die.
The Hindus believe that the appearance of the dead person confirms that the dreamer has good friends whom the dreamer should continue to follow their footsteps.
Hindus also believe that if the dead person in the dream is a relative, then this is an indication of an increase in wealth to the dreamer.
They believe that if the dead person hugs, kisses or bites the dreamer, this is a bad omen that indicates trouble ahead in the dreamer’s life.
It is believed that if the dead person gives the dreamer something in the dream, then something good will happen in the dreamer’s life.
However, if the dreamer refuses to take the dead person’s gift, then something bad may happen in the dreamer’s life.
Myths about seeing a dead person in a dream
There are several myths from different cultures about the dead. Some of those can be summarized as follows;
- Seeing a dead person in a dream has a meaning
This is considered as a myth since many people after trying to seek the meaning of this kind of dreams have found out that the advice being passed through the dreams have changed their lives.
- Dead persons appear in dreams because they need help from the people who are living
To support this claim, some people claim that life after death is a miserable life to the dead. There is no proof of this claim in fact even most famous religions of the world regard this as a myth.
- Dead people appear in dreams to revenge against the wrong done to them.
Most religions and even science regard this as a myth. Most religions explain that even if there exists life after death, the soul of a dead person does not function with the same emotions that he/she had while still alive.
This has also been proven wrong since some myths have also indicated beyond doubt that a dead person may somehow find a way to revenge the evil done to them when they were a life.
- Dead people appear in people’s dreams to trouble the dreamer
Some people say the dead person does this for the sake of the dead person satisfying his/her desires without any reason.
This is regarded as a myth since most famous religion and even science show that the dead person does not function with the same emotions as he/she had while still alive.
- Dead people are looking for compassion from the dreamer
Some people say that the dead people are desperate since there may be much sadness, regrets and guilt in life after death. Most famous religions and science regard this as a myth.
As seen throughout this article, dreams that involve one seeing a dead person in a dream may have different meanings. Different cultures and religions may interpret this kind of dream differently.
Considering all those, it is good to think through each interpretation and relate it to your life and decide the right courses of action you should take.
Readers may also like:
- Does God listen to our prayers
- Does good luck exist and how does it work
- Cleansing your house from negative energy
What your Dream Mean in Hindu: https://www.learnreligions.com/dream-symbols-and-meanings-1770563
Dead asking for water in a dream: https://islamqa.info/en/answers/157073/what-is-the-meaning-of-a-dream-in-which-the-dead-ask-the-living-for-water
Dream Definition: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream